What is the P.E. and Sport Premium?
The government has provided funding of £150 million per annum to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school Head Teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. From September 2016 Wigan St. Andrew’s C.E Primary School received additional funding of £8892 for the academic year to improve the quality and breath of PE and sport provision.
Purpose of the funding
Schools must spend the funding on improving their provision of PE and sport though how they do this is their decision.
At St. Andrew’s we are using the premium to develop and add to the PE and sport activities that we already offer and we are making improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years. We are doing this by:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers and children when teaching PE.
- Providing training opportunities for teachers to increase subject knowledge.
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs.
- Running sports competitions and increasing pupils’ participation in sports festivals.
- Provide children with opportunities to learn about how to have a healthy lifestyle.
At St.Andrew’s we have continued our partnership with Wigan Athletic Community Trust to provide 1 full day per week (for 4 half-terms per academic year) of high quality PE and sports provision which includes:
- Specialist coaches working alongside teachers in lessons to increase subject knowledge and confidence.
- After school sports clubs.
For a more detailed insight, please read our P.E. Development Plans and Evaluations below:
P.E. Development Plan
2015 – 16 Evaluation